Wednesday, February 01, 2006

In response to Desiree Cox's CD, "Forbidden Love":-

Is Desiree Cox's aim fine art or pop art, success or vision? Is her guide Joni Mitchell, Anita Baker, The Beatles or a combination of processes: the kind of thing Miles Davis does or did, across albums, across his career - at times, and usually, the finest of fine art, on a couple of occasions though, "On The Corner," for example, indulging in pop music.

On Desiree's first CD or test CD, she has four versions of her composition, "Forbidden Love". What is "the love that dares not speak its name?" comes to mind. There are four tracks, three of them, mixes. I've listened to tracks 1 and 4 about two dozen times. I've listened to tracks 2 and 3 just once each. These two are not her creation. They are artificially made and for me, unpleasant to listen to. They are the noise I wish less of.

I listen when I'm up, when I work, between midnight and dawn. Tracks 2 and 3 do not fit my needs, my knees, my prayer-like life. They seem designed for the night club, for the pop market - designed to make money - manipulative therefore, artistically dishonest - when her own art, the original song, bares as well as bears her heart and soul.

Some words in lines 4 and 5 of stanza 3 of the song in print, need fixing to say what Desiree says when she sings, what makes clear sense.

Rhodes Scholar, Dr. Desiree Cox, with this added, surprising dimension: I welcome this fellow artist to the alchemy of creativity. She can better help us artist to convince the world of art's ability to heal even in these modern times. I am grateful to our maker that she and Christian Campbell, fellow poet, are artists in a place where many imagine artists as intellectually second rate, conceive them as hardly educated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home