Saturday, December 22, 2007

Familiar Eyes
for T.L.C.

she is it for me, she sits for me
although not really

I make portraits of her
set eyes upon her twice

unlike Gertrude Stein
sitting for Picasso
unable to recall how many times

his portrait of her then, still not complete
had to finish it off, finish her off
from memory

this girl in my life, girl of my dreams,
seen twice, I make endless drawings,
portraits

though I am unable to recall
what it was or is about her
by which I was captivated

she’s bewitched me, sure of that,
intending or without intending to

how old we are, here since Adam
all those persons in between,
in us as well, all awake, alive,

link us to creation’s commencement,
to that first week

who among her ancestors
among mine, through her and me
overjoyed to meet again,
greet again

who among them, passionate lovers
wanting to, through us,
suck tongue once more

get in bed together,
copulate like rabbits
or just have tea, watch a movie
or walk by the sea

what of persons among us,
acquaintances
upon the other side
of the Atlantic Sea

other side, African side, of slavery

friends before Europeans came
able to speak a tongue she nor I
know a single word of


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2007
8:54 p.m. 22.12.07

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home