Saturday, April 12, 2008

Picture You Bare
of Tia Clarke

she allows me to love her
after a fashion, to a certain degree

though she keeps me out, she also lets me in

I’ve broken in so often
my verse like a crow bar
she accepts that I’ll get in anyway
to be near her, to be with her

unable to live divided, too far apart,
for too very long

I’d long for her when I’m too far away
like now, hungry, thirsty, longing

tongue long for water, for her
to lap up, to lick into, to lick in two

don’t know what I’d do
were I allowed to love her

would I be gentle or would I be rough
how long would it be
before I had enough

I’d do whatever it took to satisfy her
wonder what she’d have an appetite for

could she eat a whole pie
with or without ice cream
apple or lemon meringue

I’d let the phone ring until she answered
until she hollered

I’d not stop until she cried out

her birthday up coming
what should I buy or supply her with

maybe a beach with all its waves
maybe a field full of butterflies, bees, flowers

bees to follow to their hives
I’d risk being stung to bring her back honey

my honey drips similarly, when I bite or sting her
she lives for such injuries

were I to leave my sting in her, like a bee,
I’d die

I’d enjoy dying inside her
being buried side by side
like Tristan und Isolde


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2008
4:21 a.m. 12.04.08

1 Comments:

Blogger Esquire of the mountain said...

this is the acme of the tia poems...very very successful, i am impressed...but then i would be disappointed if i wasnt amazed anyway! Excellent....the last paragraphs esp..death while bringing honey perfectly interlinked with leaving a sting in her and dying...ahhhh classic!

Sunday, April 20, 2008 2:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home