Friday, May 02, 2008

Verse Dress
for E.M.J.

i.
disconnected from me
able to see me
to observe me
in ways I’m unable to see me

am I lovely, am I ugly
what does she,
from her distance, see
detached from me as she is

too close to me
too blind to see, to observe

though I access me deeply
through what I think,
imagine, feel

from behind me
she’s able to see my ball plate

old man that I am
too early going to seed

ii.
what is so embarrassing
about being black

why the desire to disassociate
from whatever this tradition is
from Black history

has it really been so bad, being Black

are Blacks losers
have we been, have we done
little to be proud of
outside of having survived

roaming the planet
beside all the others
who have survived
who have arrived

too few presents to offer
in exchange for gifts we desire
gifts we receive

must we steal

iii.
“I am shelling out hugs!”
she said, laughing ecstatically
to take any romantic meaning
out of contact, out of touch

just an ambiguous gesture for the wind

arms flung open
arms closing about a neck
beyond the greeting of it, indifferent


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2008
8:49 p.m. 01.05.08

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home