Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Sort of Song Bird
for Kara Smith

i.
a circle of friends
and she extended a hand, a greeting
without which, she not,
I not complete

link our generations with hand shake
with our hearts beating

does she/did she know
how much her gesture meant
how much her gesture means

in a world, in a time
of so much detachment

every connection
breaking off, dropping off
like flower petals

grave upon the ground

ii.
she knows how to holler
when she loves someone, something

appreciation to show
and she's not short of it
not a bit short

able to shout
when what she hears
what she sees
is what she likes

primary school teacher
knows how to encourage
how to motivate

she motivates a song or two
up like steam, out of me

I sing for paper, sing upon a page

same as if I were upon a stage
with a song to sing

were I that sort of song bird


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2008
11:02 p.m. 24.06.08

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home