Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Open Like This
for Kent Knowles

things just fall
right out of heaven
right out of the sky

not just stars or rain or snow
a meal, money, needs

when least expected
when you'd been eying
your front door

or waiting for the phone
to ring

something you're yearning for
oftentimes just drops
right into your arms
right into your lap: plap,
clap

and you have to catch it
recover from surprise

something from where
you did not expect it

had someone told me
I'd be eating a medium pizza
I'd pay not a penny for
all by myself this evening
I'd have told them they lie

what gifts come down
when we're looking elsewhere

to remind us that it is from heaven
that all life came/that all life comes

futile to look elsewhere
here and there
to this one, that one

who delivers are angels
alighting out of thin air


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2009
10:25 p.m. 07.04.09

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home