Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Unlike Sappho’s Dawn In Gold Sandals
for Llewellen, Heather, Cortney,
Sonia, D’Anthra, Olivia, Philip & Karen

a poem would come jogging by
across my page on muddy feet

I’d wake up then to follow it, to start my day

one sweet wrestles with another sweet

to sleep or to be up, out of bed
to be fully alive or to be dead, stiff

a poem would come jogging by
across my page on muddy feet

for me to follow, to start the day
urging me to get up, to go on

a poem pulls like a bicycle chain
like a tractor or bull dozer pulls

the force which pulls the planets round
pulls the minute hand, the hour hand

makes the clock tick, the watch tick
makes hearts beat

lungs empty, lungs fill

a poem would come jogging by
would cross my page on muddy feet

I‘d wake up to shake my fist at it
as it runs off, runs on


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2009
4:36 p.m. 13.07.09

2 Comments:

Anonymous D'anthra said...

This poem is lovely. I mean poetry compels us to utilize freedom of speech. It is the impetus to get us through the day. It is a being ---the very inner core of us. Come along run with it! Thank you for this poem Mr Smith.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:50:00 PM  
Blogger Esquire of the mountain said...

this one definitely is a fave...but then i have so many favourites am not sure anymore..

Monday, July 27, 2009 6:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home