Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Small-town Eyes
for D.A.

something about that girl
that bangs against my brain
hard to believe she is only seventeen

at 17, for Janis Ian, not a pretty time at all
though about it, she’s written
one of the prettiest songs of all times

this girl I speak about
I’ve been writing about
for about 6 weeks, since I met her, since I saw her

two eyes struggling with two hands
struggling with overlapping sides of a skirt she wore
something substantive to hide

been passionate about her, curious about her ever since

invest hours imagining
making her a citizen of my imagination
its anthems are of her,
its flag for her to carry

she can lift it though it’s heavy
as heavy as my pen which, since I met her,
I’m unable to put down


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2009
4:18 p.m. 17.08.09

3 Comments:

Anonymous D.A. said...

I love the sound of this one Obi. The myriad of rhyming in this poem is brilliant and I don't normally hear a lot of rhyming in your poems.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:19:00 PM  
Blogger Obie Quiet said...

My rhyming, DA, is usually internal rhyme, like belly growling, like thunder rumbling or like the rustling of leaves or the rustling of chimes - one made of shells and hanging on an out island porch, or on a porch over the hill.

Girl, you are all the world to me, you are poetry to me at present. What a discovery.

What a priceless addition to what I was awarded for those 5 Thursdays, for those 15 hours.

Because of you this event will be without end.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:57:00 PM  
Blogger ~ScotchBiscuits~ said...

sigh:-) Your rhyming makes my world so beautiful!!!

Saturday, August 22, 2009 11:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home