Saturday, September 12, 2009

St. Francis of Assisi
for Thea Rutherford


six dollars-plus spent last evening
for food for my rats

they had been seeking to eat my food
to chew into treats purchased for me

feet they run about outside on
up on my cabinet, all over things in bags,
in bottles, in tins

over dishes I eat from, forks, knives, spoons
I eat with

want them to have meals
especially purchased for them
like cat food, dog food, bird food
rat food though is a rat's last meal

my intention’s not to go on feeding them
week after week

their food indefinitely part of my grocery bill
last meal and no more

rats are no pets, are no friends of mine
provide them a meal to put them out of their misery

tormented by rats I want to be rid of
I want to put an end to


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2009
12:30 a.m. 12.09.09

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home