Thursday, August 30, 2007

Mush Angels Eat
for Angelika Hillebrandt

noises I am unable to spell
all I am able to make in response
to her loveliness, friendliness

she is angelic, she thinks I’m somebody
I quake with happiness

it must be that long awaited success
is upon me finally
how to wear it, does it fit, does it suit me

about the prettiest woman I’ve ever seen
on this same planet with me
upon earth, walking
where has she left or hidden her wings

certainly she sleeps in heaven,
goes back and forth between meals

says she’s attending university in New York,
her mother’s ill, recovering in Ohio

I suppose she has a passport
goes between countries,
suppose she has a nationality,
all the trappings of earthlings,
all our limitations, but I know better

she comes and goes,
freer than birds do, birds go
like weather, from town to town
from time to time, from place to place
seeking limbs, roof tops to alight upon

when all backs are turned
she disappears without a trace
through a window, and off she goes

gravity has no pull, no hold upon her
where was she then, before I met her, saw her
she had to have been in another sphere

my heart is glad ever since,
whenever I see her, hug her

gave me last evening, two cheeks
to kiss, she’s leaving, jetting off
to New York, going back to school
what a disguise

I know an angel when I see one,
she can fool others, she can't fool me


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2007
1:44 a.m. 30/08/07

5 Comments:

Blogger Esquire of the mountain said...

the ending magical, the beginning, to die for, Angelika, truly angelic...i enjoyed this amazingly!

Thursday, August 30, 2007 8:15:00 AM  
Blogger Angelika said...

This poem brough tears to my morning make-up stained eyes, surely you are talking about some other Angelika?

Thursday, August 30, 2007 12:11:00 PM  
Blogger Obie Quiet said...

I still have to find the right needle, the right color thread, to really write something true true true, and I will, I'm certain. I'll scoop a portrait out like ice cream, eventually. Precious, your response, AH, as well as Dickson's. You are so blessed and so beautiful, AH, and you reach out. Others who look like movie stars as you do, are smug usually, expecting to be worshipped. Your beauty and you, inspire celebration because you're not awaiting it, not expecting it. Instead, you celebrate and uplift others. How much lighter life would be for us all, with more with your spirit and humility! You cause who imagine they were sour tasting to consider that just maybe, they were or could be delicious. Disarmed by your way of being, one can become, without knowing when or how, less angry at life, less angry at the world.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 4:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its seems like she has alot of baggage..who would want to deal with that?!

Friday, April 11, 2008 1:18:00 AM  
Blogger Obie Quiet said...

Anonymous, your comment does tickle but have I mislead you? The truth I laboured to vivify was actually antithetical to what you have her concluded. Is what you've gathered an indication that my artifice fails and conveys what is opposite my intentions? Please look again, more closely possibly, and see if your view changes?

Friday, April 11, 2008 1:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home