Monday, October 08, 2007

Who Is 26 Today
for Mia Gloria Smith

age I was half of my life ago

is life just years lived
or deep and wide as well
all we have suffered
those whom we’ve forgiven
leaven as well as
unleavened bread consumed

we have loved
and we have been loved
we have lusted
and have been lusted at

Pope John Paul II,
CD of prayers and songs
is worship in my house,
is blessing it,
making what’s secular sacred

in need of redemption
on days like these

when you look at me,
look to me or look through me
what do you see

do we seek examples
or do we seek money

gift of words on your birthday
instead of four million dollars
for dolls


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2007
10:31 p.m. 07/10/07

2 Comments:

Blogger Esquire of the mountain said...

The last line is so sorrowful it saddened me but Obie, life is an irony...when we cant give the $4m we think thats all that the person needs...then there are $4m people who only want $4m words!

Monday, October 15, 2007 2:55:00 PM  
Blogger Obie Quiet said...

Your observation, your reversal of perception here, is quite stunning in a most delightful way. One is jolted into another way of looking - of seeing. How blessed you are with optimism.

Monday, October 15, 2007 4:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home