Friday, November 02, 2007

Must Get Lost to Be Found
for Erica & John & Heino & Cedric

want to land
in the middle of an art movement
a community of artists somewhere
however far away from here
from these 700 islands
where tourism and artists don’t mix,
don’t meet

I want to fall in
among this community of persons
I dream of, I imagine being part of
like a cat from the sky

would they be startled
when this cat arrived
grab their possessions
in desperation to flee
would I have to say,
hay, it’s only me, to calm them

I want to fall in, knowing I’ll fit
if not from the outset, eventually
fall in clumsily among them
like my friend Orin’s cat

Big Wig would want
to lie in your lap
even if the newspaper
were outspread already
and you were reading

would fall through the evening news
or attempt to
news of its own to make
wanting to be included
not prepared to be excluded
from the story unfolding

as the world went round
as the day unfolded
or as evening descended


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2007
12:08 a.m. 2/11/07

3 Comments:

Blogger Esquire of the mountain said...

another masterpiece fromt the genious of Obie's mind....
If you fell in the sky as a cat...indeed the saying of "raining cats and dogs" would surely have literal meaning

Sunday, November 04, 2007 6:59:00 PM  
Blogger Obie Quiet said...

Boy am I laughing! You are indefatigably insightful and so very funny.

Sunday, November 04, 2007 8:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for thinking of me, i've read it a few times and it does make me smile. unfortunately, if i ever landed in such a lap, like a cat, i propably wouldn't stay long

Monday, November 19, 2007 3:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home