Friday, May 15, 2009

Here's What I Hear
for Arianne Etuk

quiet as ghosts and as soft

as difficult to fill hands with
to get a handful of

as illusive as this, as illusive as mist

wanting a taste of it, to be filled with it

unable to drink or eat it though
snow cone of snow, sweet milk to cover it

what can I cup you in, contain you in

when you go, you come
so quietly, on quiet feet
pulling at my harp strings

who knows why it's playing
who knows who is plucking out a tune

vibrating strings but no fingers move
none anyone can see

just me singing seemingly
without reason, without cause

you are gone but still with me
still I see, I hear, I feel

the pull of you too strong, too strange
my heart strings, unable to still them

until the song, its highs, its lows
are all out, like tide, like ocean waves

until these are spent
across white sand, a stretch of beach

I want no one walking where
only you can walk and leave no print

weightless one, weightless once


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2009
12:21 a.m. 15.05.09

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i write as well and i'd very much like to read more of your poetry and have you read mine.

subscribe if you like :)

peace and much love to ya

Saturday, May 16, 2009 10:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a beautiful poem, i think u should stop watchin and take action. this arianne girl from wat youve written sounds like a room shaker and if i were u, i would not let such treasures pass between my grasp. good luck

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home