Monday, August 31, 2009

A Muse Less
for D.A.

my poems of you, who wrote them

did I or did you

an honest reflection, all I am or was
out to provide

were you to stand before your mirror naked
do you expect to see yourself clothed

I am not at all uncomfortable
about anything nature has to say

it would be like complaining about
or wanting to edit the waves
when they rushed onto the shore
or up against rocks in stormy weather

in my poems/in your poems
I provide you a place, a way to splash

as you are unable to observe yourself
I have observed you for you
reflected you back, no cost at all

do you blame the mirror
when you stand before it naked
for showing you that you are woman

beautiful, fully grown, as complex physically
as a woman can be

honesty is what I am out to share in poems also

if I have lied I'd apologize
if my camera has suggested that someone is you
who is not you, I am to blame

has your image been tampered with
have I not regarded you with the greatest respect

truth is what I am
after
I am not going to suggest
that the emperor's wearing a yellow, finely tailored suit
if he is naked, with his manhood swinging

have I been disrespectful
I thought I'd taken great pains, gone to great lengths
to honor you, to respect you

I thought we had not gone nearly far enough
creatively

with my pen, my darling, I must explore

I do still have a long way to go
before I have dug my way out of prison

I though I'd have freed you too while I was at it
thought you wanted release, relief

from this culture like a noose about the neck
I am certainly tired, disgusted with its stranglehold

so we'll not be making poems together any more

thought you’d have been my muse
partners against the crimes
which history has committed against us

thought we’d have provided a symbol
of liberation for others wishing wings

upon which to fly even about these 700 islands
rather than living stuck upon this reservation
Over-the-Hill

we might all instead be on the hill,
as crazy as could be, unable to be discharged

I want to fly over the cuckoo’s nest
thought you wanted to fly with me

satisfied with your situation
I'd have to bid you farewell
I'd have to say so long


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2009
5:52 a.m. 31.08.09

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's no denying my amusement for your poetry.

Monday, August 31, 2009 10:12:00 PM  
Blogger ~ScotchBiscuits~ said...

over the cuckoo's nest, I want to go, I don't like the noose around my neck!!

Tuesday, September 01, 2009 12:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home