Thursday, October 29, 2009

Inspiring Still
for Z.P.A.

what sweet things you are able to whisper
for only me to hear, able to whisper in my ear

what amazes me is after a gap of 25-plus years
our ability to remember exactly the page we were on
book we were jointly authors of

remember mentioning you by name in Acts,
my fourth book, published in 1983
I must revisit it, taste again the times we use to have

what is left to share, what fun, what games
all this time later, up the road and over the hill
or are we climbing still

I long to see you, see what my eyes say
what will our hearts say

why did we never have sexual intercourse
were we too circumspect,
would it have violated ethics we represent, live to uphold

I know we were often carried away
how is it that I never fell into the well
splash down, half drown in Zina-sweet waters

how insanely in love we were or seamed
can we be as crazy still, as crazy again

rub out what's on the blackboard, I have a lesson to assign
have you a compass, I have a short pencil

draw a circle for us two to fall into, fall through
out of this world

grandchildren looking here, looking there

able to smell still, olive oil Angela, as usual
applied to my forehead, at the end of Mass at 1 p.m.

where and when do you worship, sweet friend


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2009
11:04 p.m. 29.10.09

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home