Sunday, July 08, 2007

Ambiance Has Sleeves
of Cynthia Maya Fisher

how very kind she was
to have done what she did

to have opened her arms, all her limbs

to have welcomed me in
took me home to her family

shared Lauderdale-by-the Sea

things she let me taste, things she let me see
how swiftly I developed an appetite

she gave me Key West as well

she turned me out, turned away from me
as abruptly and without explaining

kindness turned to its antithesis
completely and so swiftly
I had to eat, I had to swallow

hard to have to do without her
without knowing why, all these years

what a twist of faith it was
to meet her, to love her, to have her

what a twist of faith to lose
all but memories, left in my hand

hands I have to wash to eat
to pick up life, pens, words


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2007
3:27 a.m. 8/July/07

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home