Saturday, August 04, 2007

Solid Rock
for Sonia Farmer

who is this white person,
white woman, reaching out to me,
calling to me, suggesting familiarity

I thought she was or I were invisible
is she seeing me, can she,
through the walls between our two cities


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2007
7:25 p.m. 31/07/07


Kites And Dresses
for Holly Parotti

language, unlike a spool of thread
has no beginning and no end


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2007
8:51 a.m. 03/08/07


Tea Leaves
for Sonia Farmer

how full I am with books
my bookends might break
must take small steps, small bites
for my appetite, to fit more in

I wouldn’t want to upchuck,
to throw up all over the library
all over the books, throw up all my books


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2007
6:44 p.m. 3/08/07


Water Clear As Glass
for Winslow Homer

it is all theft, isn’t it
living and writing
transferring, translating
one thing, something
into something else

transferring something
from one place to someplace else

usually from somewhere without
to somewhere within

it’s all theft, isn’t it
the evening sun upon the sea
my trying to capture it
to snatch this evening
from August


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2007
7:24 p.m. 03/08/07

2 Comments:

Blogger Dionne Benjamin-Smith said...

Hi Obi,
Quite like "Kites & Dresses" for Holly Parotti.

Warmest regards,
Dionne

Saturday, August 04, 2007 8:00:00 AM  
Blogger Obie Quiet said...

many many thanks dionne, for taking time out, time off to visit. Do, please stop by as often as you like, as often as you can, as it relieves me of the notion of existing in isolation, in solitude. Much luck and love to your artistic family.

Saturday, August 04, 2007 7:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home