Saturday, December 06, 2008

Mopping Angel
for V.L.

thought they’d taken us apart
taken you away or sent you away

showing up to see you,
I thought futile, I had, several times
visits which did not bear fruit

thought we’d become friends
just for friendship to end

new faces, strangers,
cold formality, friendly pretences
empty compared with knowing you

how robbed I felt

was I overjoyed to see you
even mopping the floor
making the wood like new

laboring, liking it
or seeming to and so lovely

how restored I felt

what I thought ended,
over and done with, available still

the loss I felt, how valuable you are

some things need to stay in place
in this ever changing, whirling world

wild with joy when I saw you

boy near by, attached to you
must I move over, make room

verse lines connect us,
with what are you and he connected

with what in addition
to youth and beauty


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2008
6:58 a.m. 05.12.08

1 Comments:

Blogger Chaile Divine said...

I like this poem... its something how we all long to connect with others and experience the simplicity of friendship.

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 9:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home