Sunday, August 02, 2009

Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 5:28 AM
BWSI final evening

Helen had agreed last evening to permit me a minute to make an apology to Courtney Fernander's grandmother. Nervously, and just above a whisper, I called her Miss Walker. I had made that mistake before, when I met her, in 1978.

I'd applied for a job at the Ministry of Education to teach English. It was she whom I had to see to be interviewed. I though I was encountering again Miss Walker who had been my home room teacher about 14 years earlier, at Eastern Junior School, but she was not.

That Miss Walker whom I have now not seen in over 40 years, was her sister. I was being interviewed by Mrs. Juliet Barnwell. It was she who was present last evening, accompanying her grandson, Courtney Fernander. Courtney was one of the 7 poets in our poetry workshop.

How badly I felt about having gotten it wrong again. We both are members of Christ Church Cathedral. Miss Walker, my teacher from Eastern Junior, where Fred Mitchell also went and where, at the time, Mr. Conliffe was headmaster, and Juliet Barnwell are the daughters of the late Dr. Walker, after whom C.R. Walker Senior High School is named. Courtney Fernander, it turns out, is the great-grandson of C.R. Walker.

This is the point I wanted the mike for a minute to explain. Unfortunately Mrs. Barnwell and Courtney had left already when my opportunity came. I hope she gets to read what I've written here.

I do not think we make enough in The Bahamas of how generation is linked to generation. Because of our silence, in a lot of instances, our past fades, grows dim and we get away without having to live up to the lofty standards of our pioneers. Let us writers spotlight these persons whom we'd be better off as a nation to follow: our guiding lights, our bright stars.

Juliet Barnwell, I love Miss Walker and you. I am greatly appreciative of all the help you provided along the way. Because of you, I am on the road I am on. Both sides of it are lined with bougainvillea, and a large assortment of other flowers.

Peace Love Blessings,
Obediah Michael smith.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home