Friday, July 24, 2009

Scary Monsters
for Llewellen, Heather, Cortney,
Sonia, D’Anthra, Olivia, Philip & Karen

monster to wrestle with, always arising
monsters without, monsters within

what of when my monster is myself
what bow, what arrow to use then

to slay who is asleep in my own bed
or snorting smoke, fire, fumes
through my own nostrils

when that monster is Goliath upon a hill
or as tall as one, I must choose stones,
I must with sling, arm myself

or should I just let monsters live
go on about my business

too focused for monsters to matter
to be distracted by them

one can without end
be locked in battle with monsters
crossing swords, flying sparks

or rolling round upon the ground
wrestling to get the upper hand

or to prevent knife or dagger
ending in the neck or chest or gut

is there not elsewhere,
apart from altercation, friction, tension
other things to be working with, working on

should I not leave my monsters, the bogey man

to Superman
, Batman, Spider-Man


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2009
4:39 p.m. 08.07.09

1 Comments:

Blogger Esquire of the mountain said...

this is a delight to read...
first very interesting questions, what is i am the monster myself, shall i battle myself,
and then the ending, very beautiful..to superman and policemen et al, we should leave the battling of monsters...excellent excellent, its been long since i came here but i am pleased and of course, not disappointed

Monday, July 27, 2009 6:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home