Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Alight Upon My Sleeve
for D’Anthra Adderley

was it Plato who claims, who wrote about
animals and small children
having no knowledge of danger

that is until a hand is placed in fire
or soft feet are injured
crossing broken glass

she hears me growl
she approaches me anyway

comes near enough to hear
to be heard, to be embraced

what a woman, new as petals
just appearing

one wonders about what’s delicate
about what’s beautiful
emerging in this harsh world, daring to

“This world was never meant,”
says Don McLean of Vincent Van Gogh,
“for one as beautiful as you.”

this is true for her too, I’d say
but she might be as tough as bark of trees

or there might be guardian angels
protecting what’s lovely
what possesses petals, wings

what a dress she wore last evening

as she turned and walked away
how my quick eyes wrapped her round

to undress her or to clothe her
with swift affection

“How perfectly made she is!”
I concluded and sighed


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2009
2:02 a.m. 21.07.09

3 Comments:

Anonymous Danthra said...

I am flattered to find that I have sparked your inspiration. The poem is beautiful.I am far from perfect though.

Thank you Obi.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:39:00 AM  
Blogger Obie Quiet said...

Your responses are like being touched in just the right ways, in just the right places, DA. I thank you for somehow knowing instinctively how to stir in, how to stir up joy. How enriched I am by your having stumbled into the room that's my life and into my senses.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:37:00 PM  
Blogger Esquire of the mountain said...

ah..a new beauty to caress with the arms of your magical pen..what a delight to read, i wish i could see this DA,at the moment that she turned and walked away and the wrapping begun!

Monday, July 27, 2009 6:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home