Thursday, November 05, 2009

Sides of the Moon
for R.W.

how close the patient is to the impatient
I like a fool was unaware

how close the patient is to the physician
and must be
if healing in a needle, in a nurse’s hand
is to arrive

needle in an arm, in a backside
a little pain and then relief

was I not wise not to have known
how near love was to what looked otherwise

love was wearing a mask, a face screwed up

afraid, I masked that too
with my own impatience and I fled
was I fearing had I not I’d have bled

friends we are or have become
I can’t or I can hardly believe

I so glad for you, for us
what’s in between
reminds me of those snaps
which, during childhood
I used to love

two biscuits, between them
marshmallow or some custard
or some cream

what a queen of a friend you are
how sweet you are

that night I thought you bitter
wish I were able to go back
drink it till the jar containing it
was dry


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2009
4:20 p.m. 04.11.09

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home