Saturday, February 20, 2010

18 Once
for D.B.A.

i.
idea of us, timid to put her in it
in this, even if it is a net of words
we’re in together

equation of us as difficult
or more difficult
than hazel nuts
to crush, to crack, to crash

to extract the meal inside
timid to make shells
with her and me in them
like yin and yang, like twins

what if she had
elsewhere to go
elsewhere to be

what if she needed
to break open a text book

lay it apart to study
to prepare for exams

as much as I wish her to be
want her to be part of me

would not want her to be
apart from the world she's in actually

apart from her pace and place
in the world

she can join the madness of art
the mad man I am
when high school is over with
when exams are behind her

won't want to interrupt
won't want to rupture
membrane containing her

rub the tummy she's in all I like
but I must wait until
after she is born to hold her
to lift her up, to baby sit her

ii.
her prepositions
inviting me, urging me
to write about her
of her, on her

and my mind and emotions
haywire, in a tangle
I have to loose out

too young, too innocent
to be aware or entirely aware
of double entendre
of double intentions

I laugh, I'm careful
not wanting to read in
what was not written in
what was not intended

someone or other
heaven sends along

when we get to those junctures
to those forks in the road

to conduct us onward
knowing the way
no need to pause here

let us keep going
I know your destination
where you have to be when
way for you to get there

I get where I need to be
when I need to be there
with you to guide

18 once myself

and angels came with wings

they came
and trusting
I went flying
as if upon a magic carpet


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2010
Written between 5:45 p.m.
and 7:35 p.m. on Friday
19.02.10

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very delicate. Through the terms of endearment, caring is revealed.

Saturday, February 20, 2010 5:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very delicate. Through the terms of endearment, caring is revealed.

Saturday, February 20, 2010 5:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home