Thursday, May 13, 2010

I’d Gone Out
for D.B.A.

i.
can't help but weep
on the bus, to Gospel music

combined with joy in me
with how divinely happy
are my skipping heart
my skipping feet

Spirit Gospel, 92.5
my baby likes 98.7
the love songs that station spews

I on der bus
it air condition an' I cool

blue pen in my paw
to make poems with

not just any animal
is capable of this feat
even others of my same species

want to declare my love
in a word or two
for one girl and no other

no conflict where this is concerned
room she occupies
no body else does

room of her own
in my beating heart

ii.
take her nipples in my teeth

don't complain before then
not before ten

when I am loving you
juicing your nipples like grapes

ow! ah!
grapes I'll be careful
not to break the skin of

not like a baby voraciously nursing
pumping like a calf
pumps a cow for milk

I'd be reckless and careful

one over the other
like a vulgar fraction

perfectly balance
pleasure and pain

don't touch my breasts
you suggest

knowing I'd not agree
when I am hungry to taste
clitoris as much as tits
to savor these

hungry to please you
to squeeze you

all your smallest body parts

you squeeze my heart
from miles away
from miles apart

when the thought of you
makes it difficult to breathe

iii.
lost the love I had
the love of my heart
the love of my life

and ever since
for almost 33 years
I wasn't much concerned
about appearance
about clothes or shoes
or if my hair was trimmed
or if it was combed

this descent, I though,
was into madness
or a retreat into it

I'd adopted, accepted
some degrees of it
not caring about appearance

even though I wanted to
I couldn't

what powers
such pride such concerns

like a part in me broken
like a switch malfunctioning
not working

had to wait for 33 years
until you came along

to restore pride in such things

even in Nassau
in the dead of winter
with you to see,
I got into cold water

all the works had to be undergone
whenever I had you to see
whenever we had a date

appointments otherwise
I regarded as part of
the same old disappointment
life had become

all this time for the star that I was
to come around again

even I am thrilled by its radiance
amazed that it's living still
that it’s on again

thought I'd gone out for good
or am I the moon, not lit at all

reflecting light you cause to shine
in what was a dark place
a dark space


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2010
Written on Wednesday, May 12, 2010
between 2:00 p.m. and 6:10 p.m.

2 Comments:

Anonymous D.A. said...

I long for the day that I can be consistenly good like you. This a is jewel. And so is this unlabeled can of soup can of you can or two in the bag and can you too.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:08:00 AM  
Blogger Obie Quiet said...

How very sweet you are, D.A., the things you'd say, what you've said here. I must read again and you must read also, "Hello Out There". It is how you are. It is as if you were the frame for reference for that so very delightful character or voice in William Saroyan one act play.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 11:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home