Sunday, May 02, 2010

Paper Towel Poem
for D.B.A.

has euphoria fled

in the rest room with my baby
here in peace, we can commune

oh God, where has all the joy gone
I feel almost ordinary

where is my high, by love inspired
by love alone

am I loving her less
is she loving me less

what has telling done
to what I was into, to the zone I was in

I recall now, recent poem of her
one which triggered tears
triggered weeping

I have shared with friends
around the globe

that had to result
in something altering

that joy is just not inside
my fluttering heart
not just in my body
causing it and me and my hand
to shake

it is shared, it is in the world
it and me, altered certainly

next phase, next phrase
must await to grow, to go higher

must await a new something
fresh mystery
to make my bow quiver

I let the bird out, the bird flew
which was caged
with its startling life

love was like that
must await another wave
another gathering of life

with faith sufficient
it will arrive certainly

there will be more to share
more you'll have to share

when joy is again more
than you are able easily to bear

you know she knows
how to go through you
how to get to you

how to penetrate through
to the core of your can of beans

you know she knows- she has
the combination to your safe
your filing cabinet, your safety
deposit box
she has keys for all your locks

though you know not how
or from where she acquired them

"Honey Please"
what she asked me to say
when I hunger and thirst for her

when need exceeds what
I can comfortably live without
or do without

already she has promised
to be there for me, here for me
to be near always

is love capable of forgetting
or of breaking a promise

love like our love
relationship like this one

genuine as the need to pee
or sleep or breathe
as genuine as heartbeat
and blood through our veins
as genuine as sweet dreams


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2010
6:38 p.m. 29.04.10

1 Comments:

Anonymous D.A. said...

Beautiful. So full of doubt, faith, joy, fear, happiness, mystery, miracle, memory and potential. I almost cried. Then I remembered the title.

Sunday, May 02, 2010 11:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home