Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Knock of Ages
for D.A.B.

i.
here again,
home again, in Starbucks,
hovering above the harbour

not a ship in port today, slow day

Chinese restaurant,
Double Dragon, on Charlotte St.,
because there are no ships in, closed

back from Cuba, back yesterday
up all night, not a morsel of sleep yet

saw my baby though
spoke with her around midnight
around 1 p.m., she came by in a borrowed car

almost impolite with brother Phil
dropped by, interrupted our minute or two

how awkward I was, much as I love him
almost pushed him out,
almost pushed him away
kind as he has been: house-sitting for me

did I or did I not utter a word of appreciation
mind exclusively upon the fact that
I was being robbed of time with D
seeing her after not seeing her after 21 days

poems in 3 notebooks to type and to polish
book of poems to compile
for Brown Turtle Press

invited to Costa Rica Poetry Festival, April, 2011
must select a volume of poems
to be published for that event

prior to that, 4 months or more
in Mexico City, teaching English
studying Spanish

shall require funds I shall have to raise

in the main time though what I must do,
must do aggressively, is rest
to sustain me, to refresh me

if I am to journey long
no other way to get on top, stay on top
of what would otherwise be on top of me

much to do before, on top of me,
was a mound of dirt and if I am lucky
a heap of flowers

ii.
D thinks I'm filthy
what part of me, what element
or what entity

has it anything to do with
what I want to suck or where
or with what I want to eat

she has some very fleshy parts
I'd part in a flash to lick
later let my lightening discharge
to electrocute her

she pretends to be shy with me
coy with me
but I've glimpsed her other side
she can be quite a contender

I've left a woman I was about to marry
to have her, to give her full attention

she is not as innocent as she, at times,
pretends to be: has what it takes
figure to die for, short as she is

long and short of it, I love her madly,
want her with all of me, want her with me

though I know I compete
with one boyfriend or another
for all the marbles,
all the tomatoes, all the potatoes

want her pussy hairs in my teeth
is this why she considers me/
calls me
filthy

I'd expect her to/want her to wash it
before I bit it, before I bite in

silly girl she is, I want to make holler
no one had better knock
when I am having supper


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2010
Written between 5:25 and 6:22 p.m.
on Monday, June 7, 2010

2 Comments:

Anonymous D.A. said...

Amazing poem. There are 1 or 2 stanzas in part 1 that are more like prose than poetry. Part 2 is definetly my favorite. Sometimes your imagery tickles me. You havent lost your touch uhh.

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 5:28:00 PM  
Blogger Obie Quiet said...

Girl I so glad you dun see dis. Even though I want to hear from you directly and haven't, good to know we are connected like we were unable to be while I was away in Havana. Thanks for every word of your precious feedback. It arouses me to know that already you have read this and to have gotten words of affirmation. I love you.

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 8:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home