Friday, August 20, 2010

Art of Air
for Hilton Woodside

i.
reconstruct a poem lost
reconfigure thought process

impossible as it is
to make such rivers- any river at all flow twice

egg in my vegetable fried rice tastes nice
pigeon pauses, shits upon the roof top
outside this window I stand before


ii.
standing on air
lovers walk upon
because of delight too great to bear

I am as light, as happy
in love myself like you won't believe
with whom, you won't believe

going to Mexico City, money to raise
God be praised

painting given to me today
I cannot believe

"Cuz!" he calls me
because he is, because we are

we are cousins
his family and mine
from Simms' Long Island

painter and poet,
artists of Long Island descent

orange purple green
make a girl dance

music to which she dances
perfume she wears

paints for five senses
for five centuries

Venus de Milo
at Musée du Louvre
older than the city of Paris

make art to outlive- to out last
who paints, who sculpts

God on the other hand
older than creation

will he start a new one
when this one becomes undone
unravels like straw work

rhythm
steps she makes
to Rachmaninov music
or to do meringue

she is Russian and Caribbean

out of what seeds
did our roots come

out of what seeds
the leaves of trees

the hair on our heads


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2010
3:18 p.m. 19.08.10

1 Comments:

Anonymous d.a. said...

Just now realizing this poem wasnt dedicated to me although I seem to be moving in here somewhere some places you would take me and I wouldnt be invited you'd knock graciously and say "this is danthra, she's a poet, she goes to st andrews, she's brilliant" and no one would stop me or you or us in our tracks where is this poem taking you today or yesterday or a some weeks ago when you were walking the streets of bogota or before that when you were wandering in cuba and now Im working at cubana flight you took to purchase gifts for me and takin photos so i could see where you'd prefer I'd be...maybe its because we from long island we gel like so aye thats an amazing painting by the way"

Saturday, August 21, 2010 11:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home