Sunday, December 30, 2007

There is for me, a weakness in René Descartes’ “Cogito ergo sum” or "Je pense donc je suis." For me no therefore connects these two truths or two thoughts. To make his assertions fit and true for me, I’d instead say: I think. I am. I know. I doubt. I’d say that’s me in a nutshell but I am late, too late and unable to put myself in anything or anywhere. Some other entity already did. Too late as well to define myself, I already am. I’ve already been. Long before I got around to pondering such weighty matters, already I had been made from matter, made to enter matter. From where, I don’t know. By whom, I don’t know. At times I am grateful to have been given the gift of me, at other times, I want to scrap it, give it back.

© Obediah Michael Smith, 2007
10:57 p.m. 30.12.07

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

An aptness of expression so true and so relevant, so utterly simple in its conception, perception and expression as to have brought into thinkability what was unthought.
Cartesian "Weltenschaung" betrays an existential conceit: That the thing which one hopes to discover the possibilities of, one has already been; or worse, that that which one was at pain too avoid, one has already become. And the moment of realization and recognition is also a moment of an inescapable assignation; like a child losing a cherished toy over a cliff.
How shall we choose between what is real and what is necessary ?

cheers
G. Morris

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 12:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home