Tuesday, May 20, 2008

How is it that Ricardo Lightbourne, sports caster out of Grand Bahama, on T.V. 13, is allowed to get away with such detestable, unprofessional behavior, night after night upon signing off, cutting up with Pakesia Parker?

He is so, so, so irksome. Are any standards attached to things which are publicly owned in our Bahamas? Does he imagine he is broadcasting in or from an outhouse somewhere? Is he aware that the entire nation - that the entire world is out here?

In our Bahamas, everywhere you turn, apart from corporations, agencies which have foreign or international owners, whomever does or is allowed to do, whatever he or she wishes. Are we a country - are we a people or are we in a jungle, wild, where whatever goes?

How in heavens name is Ricardo Lightbourne allowed to get away with what is nothing short of gross insult, night after night, upon the conclusion of the news from Grand Bahama?

Is the news a circus - some clown show? Is this county of ours a circus come to town? When, I desire to know, is it due to leave? When is normalcy expected to return to Bahamian life, where madness on our streets is joined by this man’s raucous laughter and squawking on what is one of the nation’s sacred, highly respected spaces?

Watching the news cannot be allowed to become an optional exercise because of this unprofessional reporter, insisting upon having his personality intrude in a way that might cause this viewer and others, to switch him off as we'd miss out on the news as well.

Is this reporter too limited to realize that, not only is he on T.V. or at ZNS, where he works? In addition to wherever else, he is in people's homes. Admitted into people's living rooms and bedrooms, he is carrying on as foolishly as he does. His manners are nothing short of contempt for what should be a humbling privilege.

This man and so much besides, in this country of ours, are so distressing, so embarrassing to anyone who is right thinking - to any citizen with sense.


Obediah Michael Smith, 2008
11:13 p.m. 20.05.08

5 Comments:

Blogger Marsha Wood said...

You mentioned that he cuts up with Pakeisha Parker [Edgecombe]. While this may be true, he behaves distastefully—in body and language—with other reporters. In my opinion, he conducts himself like this with her because she is more leading. She lends her ears to him every evening after sports when they work together. She has difficulty saying no—by simply not entertaining him. Someone has to help her draw the line because he is led on by her appreciation for, her invitation, her response to his suppose-to-be jokes. I believe that they are attempting to not be as stiff as Bahamas Tonight’s (New Providence) reporters. And they seem to want to blend in with 7 News or American reporters who sometimes float on water and every now-and-again a more serious newscaster has to stop them from sinking by smiling briefly (to be polite) and not responding to the comment (to separate news from comedy). If they tune it down, they will accomplish the middle ground that I believe would be acceptable for professionals who we welcome in our homes and share with the world. Let's see if ‘their behaviors’ will be modified.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 7:16:00 PM  
Blogger Obie Quiet said...

NWD, how appreciative I am for your careful attention, for your very helpful addition to this discussion.

Sunday, June 08, 2008 5:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that this is foolish. Mr. Lightbourne is quite professional, he actually adds humor and peaks interest to the viewers. Thank God for him!!!!

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 6:38:00 PM  
Blogger Obie Quiet said...

I'd have preferred knowing who I was talking to, rather than anonymous, but I do thank you for letting your eyes go over my words. I know he must have some fans. I see you are one of them. I do not think though that our news casters should be in the business of gather fans. Though I have a degree in theatre, in performance, I am so against attempts to entertain me, when that is not what I showed up for. I avoid strong drink also. I detest intoxicants or inebriation. Give it to me straight or distilled, like water. I think he should not try to flavor it one way or another, not the news, not knowing what flavor would please all of us out here. Some might wish orange, some strawberry, so fruit punch, some grape, so give us all water, distilled, when it comes to our news. Why adulterate it? Why tamper with it? I am sorry, but what he serves makes my stomach sick. It is just how this viewer is made. I beg your forgiveness and his, but I have to turn away. I have to switch him off. I get too much entertainment already, otherwise, elsewhere. The information only, if you please! Thanks again though for stopping by. I have not been impolite, I hope. I hope you’ll avoid being any more impolite. I am entirely open for debate and critique. May you, as well as Ricardo, be blessed always.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 12:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm from the United States. I have been looking for Pakesia Parker. She and I went to college together. That's if she graduated from Bethune-Cookman College in Daytona Beach, Florida. Can you help me contact her? You can email me at talkisblue@yahoo.com. Thanks!

Sunday, September 21, 2008 12:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home