Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sky High
for Tia on her birthday

like coconut
wanting the jelly, no use for the bark

I have to live with all of me
feces as well as sighs

as she must accept her stool, pee, spit,
sweat - her prettiness
as well as her ugliest parts

what quality of love and acceptance
has she for herself and what quality,
what quantity of love for me

would she wish me sifted like wet sand
through fine wire

stones, shells, sea weed to cast off after

how integrated are we, have we become
how integrated can we be

the barriers, the cell membranes
the wall to get through

how one we are and how apart
her fart and her perfume

her sweaty underarm
to bury my nose in and breathe fresh air
off limits, outer limits, outer reaches

what’s decent and what isn’t
all the perimeters to go beyond

in a poem I can explore her
she and I among so many sheets
I rip off the bed, I rip out of books
until we are fiercely combined

thrusting, thrusting, deep within her
holler all she liked, all she wished

who able to help her, take for her
what is hers to bear, to handle

a woman and a man in Eden
Adam and Eve, with no one else
in all the universe to call out to

all alone with heaven watching, approving
we, father, mother of all mankind

hand in hand in Eden, in innocence
nudes one evening, night falling, walking
animals to name

list for Noah to admit, two by two

unable to imaging otherwise, elsewhere
always this genesis
as if there was no other

are we brainwashed
order we live in to rebel against

I want to take another track
back to the beginning of time

I want you on that train with me
how circumscribed this world we’re in

how circled apart
my heart, so very fiercely beating
I so very deeply breathing

desirous of you, too far and too near

membrane of words between us
saliva-coated tongues, shoving,
pushing, sucking, helpless

we are lovers, we, our world
about us, our country, its laws

world full of wars
heighten food prices, gas prices

price of love, sky high
is grammar as well, keeping us apart

about what all, must we be circumspect

do we not connect
because of who we love
in addition to poetry

field of flowers to roll you in
to roll around in, with you naked
or upon a deserted beach together

sand in your pussy
to remove with my tongue
time and privacy sufficient
to accomplish this

dick to talk to you with
your pussy to pull me in

secrets, stories to tell, of how time began

long before Eden, long before Genesis

I want to go back to the beginning
via the book that you are

open it in the middle, write in it

yours is the Bible
I long to be acquainted with
book I long to read

is it available, is it in the library
I must renew my membership

Eastern, Western, or Nassau Public
I must check it out, bring it home
read it while I use the toilet

let them bang on the door
let them piss up or shit up themselves
I’m reading

what book was it I lost, while a boy still
while still a teenager

why I discontinued membership
in the library

membership should be mandatory
for every youngster in the land

mandatory that they read our story
the erotic bits, the forbidden parts

will have their hearts racing
as quickly as ours

while I wrote and you read this poem
with it, have we not changed the nation

its flag down, soaked with rain
and soiled with mud


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2008
begun 2:49 p.m. 14.05.08
completed 3:50 a.m. 15.05.08

1 Comments:

Blogger Esquire of the mountain said...

This is an epic...and you i salute for you...and for Tia the muse, a glass of wine i toast to you, from across these treacherous seas...

Friday, May 16, 2008 3:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home