Saturday, May 17, 2008

White Chalk Blackboard
for Sonia Farmer

I’ve not written my poem of your return
I’ve not rejoiced in verse
over having you back

back home and in my arms again
your voice and verse combined, to savor

used to run to my bedroom, still do
to watch you on T.V.

that tourist ad with you, tall and white
without tan to tell
you live here, you’re from here

tote bag strap over your shoulder
an arm through it

browsing, brushing by stalls of straw vendors
how very convincing you are

when you’re away it’s all I have
the extent of contact

with you back, even if briefly
how much less lonely this island is
these islands are

so many Bahamian citizens and I
not of one country

you and I of one same country
of one same race

comme Auguste Rodin et Camille Claudel

how like the fragrance of flowers when we spoke
going deaf and because of noise
having to get so near
to collect your words in my ear

at times I imagine our being closer still
pushing, shoving, fitting

engine parts - one half and another half together
we could run a country, could run the world

we run words together like beads on strings
like flowers in Hawaii to hang about necks


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2008
6:09 p.m. 16.05.08

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Inspiring. I like poems about connections and relationships.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:30:00 PM  
Blogger Obie Quiet said...

Poems you select to comment on, Cynara, though written by me, tell me about you - how paradoxical, how interesting.

I suppose we always reveal ourselves through what we like, through appetite.

Out for dinner, given a menu, what do we select, what do we connect with? We pick even though all the meals are gourmet.

I like revealing myself though, laying myself bare. I get to see what's inside as well.

The specifics in our art, in our writing reveal us specifically rather than generalities.

A writer is never generic, not the good ones, not the great ones.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home