Monday, February 02, 2009

Air In and Out
for Kent & Mary

i.
just as I won’t want to be
where I’m unable to breathe

don’t want to be
where I’m unable to write
or unable to read

these as important to me as air

unable or difficult
to read or breathe
under water or under ground

while I can be, want to be
where I’m able to write and to read

as long as I breathe
must write and read

woman who inspired these words
these thoughts,
so dark and lovely

in through one door
out through another
so animated

I see her, I’m breathless

to write, to live, to read
so much more enjoyable
when beauty’s added, passes

like blood through my veins

ii.
could Dante have evoked an entire nation
is Italy the ultimate divine comedy

iii.
I’m not reading
I won’t allow you too either

you must remain behind with us
in an ocean of noise

as difficult to breathe almost
as when under water

iv.
must not mention it
as if unaware

his upper teeth, in front
are missing, all missing

close as we are, timid to ask

how did you come to be
without your front teeth

how were you relieved of them
by what or by whom

young as you are
gentleman that you are

in an accident, in a car
I see no scar

v.
Lord, for delivery
deliver me, I pray

for my needs I pray
upon my knees

vi.
how frail life is, how fragile

life can pop any minute
even without alcohol
cigarette and cigar smoke
added

deliberately stressful
environments we choose
to inhabit

environments which
comprise modern life

how backward are we
we’re suicidal

wanting to go down
all in a bunch, in a group
or up in smoke

stop the train I have to say
over and over and get off


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2009
Written between, 10:10 p.m.
Saturday, 31st January 2009 and
12:49p.m. Sunday, 1st February 2009

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home