Sunday, May 24, 2009

Wild In A Cage
for Deanah Sweeting

all these years to discover who she is

what moments await us, are stored up for us
if we can only watch and wait
if we can hold out, can hold on

until they come, arriving one by one
like Easter, Christmas, birth days

met her tonight, finally
remember when I first set eyes upon her

how I was smitten, hungry, thirsty
to see her emerge from the store
with what she went shopping for

long ago, but I remember the banana
she emerged eating

I remember her pale blue shorts
I remember my heart swiftly beating
I remember being in awe

how many heartbeats has it been
from then till now

tonight,
to stumble upon her, upon her house,
to discover her dad is my friend

dark like him,
a million times more lovely

in what incubator was she made
14 years ago
14 billion years to go


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2009
11:56 p.m. 23.05.09

2 Comments:

Blogger ~ScotchBiscuits~ said...

This is where I come to be comforted by words on a computer screen, to dream of and to feel with, and to be reminded of life's simple, but priceless pleasures, like unfading memories of banana's and pale blue shorts.

Monday, June 01, 2009 12:33:00 AM  
Blogger Esquire of the mountain said...

delightful to read, to return and find you still creating a picture of your daily experiences with your beautiful mind, with your beautiful words...excellent mr smith(but then i shouldnt be surprised)

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 7:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home