Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Lavender Walls
for D.A.

i.
want to forget her age, who she is
apart from this picture, this page

face how she affects me, react to that,
to nothing more

must act in self defense
she happens upon me, hops upon me

as against me as that 8 year old female,
French girl who never wore underwear

who'd leap upon the poet at seven
of whom Rimbaud wrote

kicked and scratched he'd return to his room
after wrestling, after tangling with her

taste of her backside he'd have bitten
in his mouth—a kind of reward

what reward from a picture of her
in white short shorts

ii.
weight of a woman, wait for a woman
as right as she is

woman in bed, woman to wed
just the right amount of ounces, inches

amount of flesh,
amount of fresh fish for my appetite
fry one each night for the rest of my life

God Almighty knows who I'm to meet,
made for me: what duet, what two instruments
out of wood, shape harpsichord, double bass

what is it though about this woman's weight
haunting to see

grey T-shirt, cut off, show her belly bare
her navel orange

short white shorts, show wheat-brown thighs

shaped like a woman I dreamed up
this picture’s real, can weigh her in two arms

in bed already, need not carry her anywhere
pillow cases on two pillows, butterflies cover

what a weight of woman, how she fills my senses
hadn't a clue she was so wonderful to look at

girl-child a week ago, woman fully now
full grown somehow, happened over night
woke up—what to behold

are my eyes lying to me, is she fooling me
able to mesmerize easily

leaning against her bed head
behind it, behind her, lavender wall

bare feet in bed, I in a spell
don't know what to say,
don’t know what to do

see her, something happens to me
I am unable to name

what to do to claim her, if possible
I have words, wish I had paint brushes
a painter's brush strokes, I'd trap her in these

already captured by flashing light,
by a camera clicking, already pinned
as well as liberated against her room wall

slave to beauty, to subtlety

fancy bed head and her body, similar mahogany
she is flesh and warm and woman

stand upon my body, able to withstand her weight

drawn to her, to who seems hauntingly familiar
missing rib I've been looking for maybe
what God made it into while I was sound asleep


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2009
6:34 a.m. 12.08.09

2 Comments:

Anonymous D.A. said...

This would be my favorite. I was lost in the color of the poem with its assortment of shades and tones that blended so nicely to form what seems to be a mental image that was engraved in the mind.

Definitely worth the 3 scores and ten. NO?

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:27:00 AM  
Blogger Lynn Sweeting said...

it is hard to write a good love poem, they can easily be overwritten, become all airy-fairy. this poem snaps an image of the beloved in a single moment in time, the picture she makes shows us what love is in this single moment for the poet, honestly, without sentimentality... thanks obi

Monday, August 17, 2009 9:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home