Friday, November 13, 2009

Thy Kingdom Come
for D.A.

something swift I won’t have to edit
to the bottom, to the heart of it

what it, what is it
affected by seeing her, deeply, deeply

impact upon emotions, wordless
or I could name it

should I if I'm able or reticence

know how these people are, this culture is
in which we live, which we call ours

though our desire is to break it apart
step out of it

plaster of Paris men and women
when we have feeling to feel, thoughts to think

get myself in trouble confess, express
say the rest, do I know what I feel,
what I think of us

is sex the end of the road, the end of the day
or is it love, that great big possibility

emotional upheaval, emotionally out of control
possessive and jealous, seen in public
public able to read what is happening

two people in love, attached against all odds
forbidden affair

us from the public, we must keep,
to keep what we have

our little secret, not even we have named
what to call this embryo, our acquaintance

what is the basis of it, or are we making art
nothing more

gathering ingredients to add to it
Vanilla Extract, Nutmeg, Cinnamon

what would sweeten life, lift the spirit
just a psalm or two to sing

what borders, what walls, like cell walls
can we not cross, cannot pass through

a love affair is a lot of work
what to put, to keep a secret in

jewelry box or in a coffin or in a poem

or in her, like a digger or like a sword in a sheath
to draw out when war breaks out

I've got a sword in my hand, I'm gonna use it well

is she empty for me when war is being waged
when I am unable to insert in it her

off to war, she wondering when I'd be coming home

are you coming to bed, she impatiently asks
tired of waiting, of deprivation
poetry as usual has my attention

her wish is that I focused upon making her come

instead I keep coming poems
making poems come


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2009
4:18 a.m. 13.11.09

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home