Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fragments of Epic Memory
for Sonia Farmer & Derek Walcott

are nerves in my body or in my brain broken
what pop, what drop, lights out, fridge off

unable to microwave beef hot dogs
to have on wheat bread
mustard to squeeze on,
squeeze out a lot of it

Walcott here and I'm not in touch with him
was this my opportunity to get acquainted

not much opportunity in Guyana,
at Carifesta recently

Sonia, what a motivation
what leadership she demonstrates

inspires me, will carry on where we leave off

she and I and others, with Walcott to advance
Naipaul to advance

that is if we are able
to get to the top of where they leave off, leave us

want to be ready, want to keep pace

nine books of Walcott, 7 left to be autographed
will he recall meeting me,
out front of Buddies International
in George Town, Guyana

or autographing his Fragments of Epic Memory

wonder if he read
On The Hinges of This Town
I gave him a copy of


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2009
1:20 a.m. 12.11.09

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home