Saturday, November 14, 2009

When Is Happy’s Birthday
for Jewel Camille Smith

oh, my God,
it is my older daughter's birthday
no longer are both 28
the oldest is 29 today

29 years ago
at the other end of this event
what a day that was in Freeport,
on Grand Bahama Island

a different world, a life time ago

break in creativity, in looking back
interrupted by boys passing, breaking glass

breaking the shade of the lamp on the pole
in front of my house

brought back to the present from way back when

shaken, fearful,
wishing you happy birthday

stones directed at that light,
I open my door, cry out to them to desist
and stones are aimed at me, thrown viciously

pack of boys, a pack of animals
I fear for my life, I tremble in fear

I feel vulnerable here
can I take my house and run

it is no tent, it is not a house
I can drive off in or with

this is my address
they know it and can return

"You should be in bed!" they say,
they said, but I work the night shift

they seem to be the kind of pack
able to take a life and just go on

what oh, God, must I do in response

happy birthday Jewel Camille Smith
what a world your mother and I
caused you to be born in
caused you to come into


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2009
3:41 a.m. 14.11.09

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Obediah,

This for me, is your best yet!

A reminder that a father's instinct to protect his daughter/children lives on!
Bravo.

Antonius

Saturday, November 14, 2009 3:14:00 PM  
Blogger Obie Quiet said...

I thank you very much Antonius for the guidance and affirmation feedback provides. I thank you for taking time - for giving time and for your own artistic example and contributions.

Monday, November 16, 2009 5:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home