Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Rats' Alley
for D.B.A.

Lord, God, Almighty
this girl of mine, this girl and me
and her attempts to take
good care of me

to provide me the treatment
I require, desire, deserve

to imagine she knows what it takes
has what it takes
able to do for me
able to keep me satisfied, fulfilled

while she fulfills
all that is assigned for school

has a boyfriend on her right hand
or on her left, me on the next

her aim to keep us satisfied
all together

has what it takes for all of this
all of these

has the ability to please, to satisfy
these needs, demands

these in addition to customers
to satisfy
in addition to mother
to satisfy

my, I admire her, cannot believe her
what she desires to pull off
tries to pull off

has her own sense of ethics
her own moral codes
to guide, to govern
the moves she makes


the moods she passes through
passes in and out of and back into

suppose I should be tickled pink
however black and blue
to be included, factored in
to the degree that I am

I think it was a rat walking on me
that woke me
that has me up, thinking of her
making poetry
thinking of selling my house
vacating town
I was all the way
away
in dreamland


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2010
6:19 a.m. 24.08.10

4 Comments:

Anonymous d.a. said...

When I awoke this morning I had this quote on my mind(one that I dont think I've heard elsewhere) "the closer we get to our dreams the sooner we awake" or at least something similar to this because I don't quite remember. I just thought I'd share that.

I do love this poem from beginning to end, it is clearly expressed therefore it is clearly art.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 10:22:00 AM  
Blogger Obie Quiet said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger Obie Quiet said...

It is heaven to me that you have seen this and that you have commented. I thought your wonderful, so well related quote, was the extent of my prize. Though referred to as a quote, is it possibly or is it that it is your very own idea or are you recalling it from some source, a source you are unable to recall? The prize for me though is your concluding sentence. I am happy and reassured that you love this poem which tumbled oddly or out of the blue into being. How very distilled the thought of it being clearly expressed and therefore clearly art. Are you certain that this is not as well a quote, a thought from Aristotle's Poetics possibly or from another of the Greek Nature Philosophers? We do challenge each other to be brilliant, don't we? Maybe the push mutually is to cause the other to tap into genius equal to that of any day or time. I was marveling only recently at the consistent quality of my many poems of you. Nothing as phenomenal, in my entire life, to do with writing, or love or these combined, has even occurred. Why therefore is what we share not enough to fill your cup and senses and to dedicate yourself to? How can you make us or me redundant? It is so humiliating. I find that impossible - to duplicate you or to attempt to. You are in a room and in a class all your own in my life.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:34:00 PM  
Blogger Ophir Alviárez said...

Wow, Obediah, what a poem!!! I received your link, so I am here to follow you and to enjoy it.

Un abrazo!

Ophir

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home