Monday, July 28, 2008

Clara Shu Cloth

had I been given that towel now
I'd know what to do with it exactly

handed it at her house or apartment
where she lived in Paris
at the end of our walk

I hadn't a clue what to do
what to wipe or where with it

wanted to avoid appearing foolish
succeeded in seeming insensitive

looked at wet wash rag
wondered why/wondering why
I'd been handed it/provided it

Chinese, she observed me carefully,
closely

I could see, could sense she was insulted

more insulted still
when I handed it back unused
unaware it was meant
to refresh myself with
cool myself off

to make use of it now
to make up for what I did not know then
and made little or no use of

with wash cloth, my own
all unbearable summer long
I wipe myself over and over, here and there

I savor the relief it brings
as well as these Paris memories

1989, 19 years ago
where, I wonder, is she now


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2008
2:14 a.m. 27.07.08

1 Comments:

Blogger Esquire of the mountain said...

this poem is as delicious as a ripe mango after a long walk in the hot african sun, very refreshing, and the comparisons and litte glimpses into your past, ah priceless

Sunday, August 03, 2008 5:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home