Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Alicia

some assume all writers dead
or in countries far away

how to respond to poets, to poetry

who taught you to be genuine,
appreciative

you came along when needed most
light dying out

you scratched matches, lit fire
brought warmth in a cold season

magical eyes to ignite a hearth
send smoke up a chimney

rising in the wilderness
a place deserted, abandoned
you lit up, brought life

God, how you did it I don't know
born for moments such as these
you must have been

baby in a manger not long ago
how many Christmases have you seen

trees erected and disposed of
lights in a box, stored overhead
until next year

your eyes though remain open
remain on

your eyes upon me and I'm not the same

eyes wide enough to take my height
at once able to touch earth and sky

you make holy what you look at
you bless when you blink, what you see

I am making a portrait
of who has made a portrait of me

we'll need two frames
two pieces of glass to cut to order
to measure


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2009
12:35 a.m. 04.02.09

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home