Monday, December 07, 2009

What She Opens Up
of D.A.

i.
of these new pictures, a poem
a poem about a new woman

new woman to get to know
knew the girl
out of which this woman grew

signs of what was to come
but what she has become
I could not have imagined

could fall more deeply in love
cautious as I’ve always been

to fall upon her
afraid to fall into what she opens up

ii.
could fall through a hole in a donut
is a donut whole with a hole in it

hold her in my hands, in my arms
eat around the edges

eat until the hole alone is left

put that in my pocket,
what is left, for luck

iii.
I’ve not yet bitten into the custard
of the pastry that she is

that is finished making now
expanded in the oven
in all the right places

with eyes I savor her, I save her
I’m saving her, I’ve been saving her
for appetite to dictate,
for hunger sufficient

waited or waiting still to be ravenous

know when I tackle it, tackle her
how delicious she will be, how savory

croissant to pull apart, tear this way,
that way

devour piece by piece
piece or some or all

what would I wash her down with
Pepsi or Coco Cola, milk or wine

wash her down with champagne
and two hands

two hearts pounding
goat skin and sheep skin drums


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2009
Written between 3:55 p.m.,
Sunday, December 5th
and 12:10 a.m. Monday,
December 6, 2009

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A wonderful and unforgettable poem. LOVE IT!

Monday, December 07, 2009 8:41:00 PM  
Blogger ~ScotchBiscuits~ said...

yes, unforgettable and loaded with tasteful food analogies.

Wednesday, December 09, 2009 9:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home