Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Over the Wall
for D.B.A.

i.
want to climb that wall
go places
know places to go

no place to go
unless/must first
go over that wall
Collin erected and left

erect dick to get through it
to bulldoze it with

over or under or through
or around that wall
to be able to take you places

places to go together
to get to

wall to get over
or get through
story to get through

it's several hundred pages long
must turn them and turn them
until I am through
until I am done

hymen, a wall or a page
or a hymn or a prayer

or a piece of tissue
to blow my nose in
to blow my nose on

or do I sneeze
and blow your house in
and blow your house down

It's about time I ate up
your three little piglets
your three little pigs

which one of them went to market
do you dress them in bows

want to be able
to know them when I see them

know them by scent and by sight
when I encounter them

what will I wipe my mouth upon
when dinner's done
when day is done

ii.
what has happened to me
she has happened to me

beyond that I am unable to explain

don't like her over and over again
warning me, suggesting that
nothing can come of it
that it can come to nothing

warning me of what can become of me
if I did not veer off this road I am on

suggesting I am after what/
I am after who I am not gonna get

in spite of my net of words
I manufacture, knit

let fall over her, one an then another
and then another like mosquito nets

these to safeguard her
to have her
to keep her
to and for myself

does not like it seems
being under my net of verbs
or words or under my spell

wanting without end to recover
to go her own way
to do her own thing

iii.
she plays with me
makes fun of me
of my going deaf
of my balding head

does she spare me pain
or does she rub it in

does she bring me grief
or does she bring me joy

often do not know
where I stand with her
or where I stand in this world

at other times,
on the other hand
do not need to stand
I'd be floating on air

impact upon my life
what of my impact upon her

self I am now
self I was then
in March
when we commenced
are selves apart
are worlds apart

have I had
a similar impact upon her
have I as well
turned her world around
turned her world upside-down

she's turned my world
inside out
like a hamper of clothes
when in search of something

or when a thief happens by
to say hello,
to say bye


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2010
Written on Tuesday, August 3, 2010
between 12: 10 p.m. and 6:49 p.m.

3 Comments:

Anonymous d.a said...

This has to be the best poem you've ever written Obi. Amazing! I felt as if I was listening to Mozart or Beethoven and the notes- words, chords-lines ,tunes-tones took a breath and exhaled sumtin like a catapult.

Thursday, August 05, 2010 7:10:00 PM  
Blogger Obie Quiet said...

How sweet and kind of you, Dee. How helpful your comments are. What guidance you provide. You send me poems and you provide me comments. What a great benefit you are. From you I get so much. I am grateful to you and to our MAKER.

Friday, August 06, 2010 2:57:00 AM  
Blogger Esquire of the mountain said...

Mr OMS...i dare add to your muse's (i suppose) comment..an amazing tribute to love...the lines in comparison to the three little bigs..to be able to recognise her 3 piglets(in her trademark bow ties i suppose)...what a delight!!!

Sunday, August 08, 2010 8:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home