Sunday, December 26, 2010

Silver Bells
for Arianna Vanderpool-Wallace

i.
everybody eating ham and turkey
what am I eating
not even jerk cat for a pot cake dog

watching Oliver Twist in black and white
by David Lean, Sir Alex Guinness in it
with John Howard Davies

filmed in 1947
cinematography to die for, by Guy Green
I am not after all excluded from the goodness
Christmas brings

ii.
like a bolt out of a cannon
is how she swims

hits the wall opposite
with such swift finesse

even in third
is third in the whole wide world
is but a few tiny fractions of a second
behind who got gold
behind who got silver

she can roar, she can roll
she can rock 'n' roll in water
in a great big pool


iii.
Jesus! turkeys must hate Christmas
don't talk about hams

they must both hate the fact
that Christ was ever born

not at all happy of the state
in which, in such large numbers
so many insist that they show up
at the birthday of our Lord

from year to year, around the globe

iv.
I am so very nearly centred in myself
compared with where I was in relation to me
early this Christmas Sunday morning

it feels like self-love, like self-intercourse
able to go around with myself inside myself
like going about with two hands in two pockets


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2010
Written between 2:30 p.m. and 7:57 p.m.
on Sunday, December 26, 2010

2 Comments:

Anonymous d.a. said...

Body language: Walking with hands in the pockets signfies dejection. But you clearly feel anything but that.

This is the perfect winter congratultory poem. The gift of poetry to make my Christmas warm.

Listen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PIeACMXsQ

Monday, December 27, 2010 1:19:00 PM  
Blogger Obie Quiet said...

Thanks for a very precious response, dba. Thanks first of all for having read this very recently written poem. I was excited to type it and polish it to show you that I had dared to write a Christmas poem or a poem for Christmas and I giggled to myself because I felt confident that it had succeeded and that inspiration itself had brought it along like a postman with a letter to deliver. I love this song you chose to share. Wherever and however did you happen upon it?

Monday, December 27, 2010 6:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home