Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Prize or Surprise
for Ian McDonald

for an explosion of recognition
I must ready myself

it is coming like a hurricane

must I like birds, like fishes
know where in air
or where underwater to hide

or should I, like song birds
sing to the top of my lungs

should I like dolphins
be jumping up and down

I know I must brace myself
for what is coming my way
for what I have prayed almost all my days

I feel my powers join
other forces out there
it is like nothing I've ever known

I feel the rivers my pen makes
join other rivers

like trickling tributaries, into a mighty flow

is it gonna flow or is it gonna blow
something massive is occurring
or is about to

I sense myself about to be recognized
around the world, around the globe

spoken of on CNN, mentioned in the TIMES
or appearing on Oprah Winfrey

none of these would surprise me

things are beginning to shape up
to take shape, to take place

I am beginning to go places
beginning to be somebody

my pen is my sword, my racket
it is as well, the cross I carry

I have for years
been unable to put it down

instead of weighing me down
it bears me up

my cross eventually will be
a feather in my cap


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2009
10:16 p.m. 08.12.09

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home