Sunday, December 27, 2009

What to Gather Round
for all the members of my family

hard climb every day
just to get on my feet
just to stay on my feet

hard swim everyday just to stay afloat

it is not easy
this attempt at a writer’s life
in these times, in this place
in this too small population

often do not get
to get
together with family

family members, too few
show support financially
or with presence or with interest

I thank God for support
from family I do get, I do have

is my absenting myself tit-for-tat
attempt to pay back

it might be some of that
ignoring who ignores me

this poem surprisingly, surprising me
brings this to attention

poetry bares, seeks truth
finds truth, achieves it, achieves beauty

bare myself, my heart for myself,
for my family I love and miss

I hope we are together soon
I am so hungry for family chatter
for all the things to eat, to drink

salads, desserts, main course
covered plates to take home

my right thumb hurts, throbs
I am uncertain why


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2009
12:34 a.m. 19.12.09

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home