Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Skipping with my Heart Beating
for D.B.A.

Lord let no one extricate
let no one pull out the Christmas lights plug
or click off the happiness switch

don't know if I'd be able to bear such a blow
such a loss

what is happening to me
what I'm involved in and with whom
is unbelievable, was unexpected

happiness so extreme, so severe
I have difficulty breathing constantly

it has happened to her recently also
coming across a few lines
concluding a poem she inspired
a poem I have written for her

what is useful though is how clearly she explained
her heart contracting, her having to breath voluntarily

she is a poet also, one with a background in science
as much a student of science as she is of literature
and the arts

I could empathize well, identify well
with what she, for a moment, suffered

it is what I undergo always
since we've been connected like this,
since our affair cranked up
got going, since we took off, our love took flight

I have been breathless or struggling to breathe
discomfort I welcome, do not mind at all

I am in love is why it is I'm gasping for breath
wrestling for air

addendum to this is joy
like I have not known in ages
joy I have not, in all my life, known often
did not expect

I was about to get married to another woman
when she came along, when love popped up

what flight this is I am not sure
I am as lost as three blind mice
I am as happy as a lark in the night
singing without ceasing


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2010
6:18 p.m. 20.04.10

2 Comments:

Anonymous D.A. said...

I love the title. So much too interpret from it.

You are as brave as your poetry.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 10:55:00 PM  
Blogger Obie Quiet said...

Reflecting upon your third, very kind sentence, ever since the very first time I read it. Whatever could she have in mind I've been wondering? What has caused her to come to this very kind conclusion? I do which to know what inspired this thought. What act or acts on my part outside of the act of writing? Pray tell, DBA,I beg you.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home