Monday, August 30, 2010

There Are Exits
There Are Entrances
for D.B.A. & A.G.P.

she pushed me away from her
and into this relationship
for my own good, for my own sake
for the sake of love

somehow it seems she knew better than I
what promise- what promises awaited

I thought it impossible for anything
or for anything much
to come of it

told her what challenges such a relationship faced
she thought it wise- thought it good and right
to leave off, to leave me where I was, in love with Dee

that she thought was enough to go on
enough to keep me

I hadn't a clue of this place we have come to
of what we, Dee and I, have come through

what we have traversed, what verses we have made
she as writer and as inspiration
I as writer and an inspiration

what we write- what we've written
with the potential to change life nationally
universally

but all of that's beside the point
is another matter and off the subject

what is the point is how I came
into this relationship from another

could not have entered otherwise
or from any other corridor

went so far in that other one and exited
or it ended

and this new affair, this new world began
like a dream come true

in spite of patches of nightmare, here and there
look what it has brought me to

joy like you won't believe
happiness like I've never known or imagined

wanted to die, didn't mind if I did
whenever death knocked

not now - in love and I want to live
to see grandchildren, hers and mine,
in their school plays, in their church choirs


© Obediah Michael smith, 2010
7:50 p.m. 27.08.10

2 Comments:

Anonymous d.a. said...

"with the potential to change life nationally"

I thought potential difference in physics also called voltage and I thought change was charge but they do function in both ways don't they?

I am glad that you are glad obi. i do enjoy the certainty of the voice in this poem. yea the story of our lives. yours mines and others that fall along the line.

Monday, August 30, 2010 9:30:00 PM  
Blogger Obie Quiet said...

My God, my darling, you can say the most grownup things - which does not state what I do wish to convey. What I do wish to convey though is that there is something so very mysterious about the depth and wisdom of the voice in your comments often. What is mysterious is that your comments - the words you conclude with here being a perfect example - would have us seem like contemporaries. How you achieve that astounds as well as delights me.

Friday, September 03, 2010 6:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home