Saturday, August 28, 2010

Three Times Three Turns
for D.B.A.

first time we met I said
"and what is this, a wig?"

having no clue at all
of what is or what was en vogue

and she said, "Yes,"
with a tinge of embarrassment

another time, another meeting
when she was near enough to me

when she came and sat
in the seat beside me
at chez Louis Dames

running the back of my middle finger
of my left hand, down her right cheek

I asked, "What is this, make-up?"
embarrassing her a little bit
and she said politely, "Yes"

we were all but alone
except for another poet at the round table
to the right of me, behind me

when I turned to address Dee
to inquire about her make-up

my touching when I did, like I did
where I did, was our intimacy exposed
expressed

we startled her
like arousing someone from slumber
from deep sleep

a similar thing happened
when I gave her those earrings
made of jade and silver

acquired at what was relatively
substantive cost
in Granada, Nicaragua

gave her these in Starbucks, Harbour Bay
day we were as intimate as could be

and she invited me to put them in
she wanted, without delay, to wear them

that act, my awkward effort
only by a few degrees
removed from the intimacy
the beating hearts involved in-
involving sexual intercourse

and there in public, there in Starbucks
those present, those who saw

as one, reacted
made to witness
to participate- to be partners with us
in our affair

unable to help but go along
but to participate
but to be carried away with us

I feeling so near faint with joy
she more stoical than I

laughing at me, giggling
my little girl, my little woman


Obediah Michael Smith, 2010
8:46 p.m. 27.08.10

2 Comments:

Anonymous d.a said...

This seems so much like a film and the ending would be the title a?

Saturday, August 28, 2010 9:08:00 AM  
Blogger Obie Quiet said...

I am so happy to know that you have taken this in, dba. How happy I am for your, as usual, very helpful, very insightful response. I cherish you.

Saturday, August 28, 2010 9:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home