Monday, April 05, 2010

Flamingos Necks & Nests
for D.B.A.

fear we're less close, we're less intimate
when I do not hear from her

but do we hold, do we keep
growing closer, becoming more and more
even when it is imperceptible

earth turning, trees growing,
children becoming adults, grown

able only to recognize, the leap, the jump
advancement, when you look back
oh my God, when did this, did that occur

what is it about us, difficult to believe
has to do with how good it is

connected possibly to how undeserving
I imagine I am of happiness such as this,
of days such as these

someone who has stolen something
fearing it being taken back, stolen away again

in other words, imagine it illegal to love her
to have her, to make love to her even as we do

when will who will come along to make arrest
or to, by force, pull us apart, pull her from my arms

child with another child's teddy bear
clutching it close, pull at it all you will
with all your might, unwilling to relinquish it

want it, wanted for a crime committed
time to do for what you've done

in heart committed, in love committed
to love committed

unwilling to detach from it
whoever thinks it’s wrong to be in love
with girl 18, a man who will be 60
in a minute, if God spare life

concerned about growth
every minute, every second

excited to see what they'd be
in 2 years or in 4
when she is 20 or 22 and he 58 or 60

must run the race, must stay the course
what it would be like to be around
long after her mother is able to demand
that she get off the phone and get to bed

and you are able to, instead,
get into bed together


© Obediah Michael Smith, 2010
4:37 p.m. 05.04.10

2 Comments:

Anonymous D.A. said...

I remember I had a teddy, not a bear but a monkey. My father gave it to me. I cant find it now. I miss it. I would still sleep with that, sleep with my monkey till I was old old old, simply for sentimental purposes.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 6:51:00 PM  
Blogger Obie Quiet said...

You make it seem advantageous, dba, for a change, for one to be or to wish to be a monkey. You make being a monkey seem like something pretty. Here you have me contemplating such a transformation if it would or might result in your refusing to get into bed without me in your arms, pressed up against the warmth of your body. I do promise you though, it can get much much better than a stuffed monkey. I'd make you forget your monkey or buy you a bed full of them to keep you company any night we have to spend apart.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 8:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home